Jean Monnet Module : Understanding the EU
Course Goals and Objectives
This course provides an introductory, multi-disciplinary course on understanding the European Union in terms of law, politics, and economics. This is especially important for grasping the context and conditions of EU relations with Korea and Northeast Asian countries.
With special funding from the EU under the Jean Monnet Programme, the course delivery will combine experts in constitutional law, political theory, and EU economic integration, and include special lectures from a visiting EU academic.
Two additional special events will also be organized within this course :
- 1)Round table discussion on EU identity and integration
- 2)Introductory research workshop on EU economic integration.
Textbooks and other references
- - Key Controversies in European Integration
- Edited by Hubert Zimmermann and Andreas Dür
- Series : The European Union Series Palgrave Macmillan
- - Political Theory of the European Union
- Edited by Jürgen Neyer and Antje Wiener
- 978-0-19-958730-8 | Hardback | 04 November 2010 Oxford University Press.
- - International Economic Integration
- Byeong Hae Sohn, Sigmapress Co. Ltd., Seoul, 2011
Course Description, Methods, and Materials
Each section of the course will combine the use of lectures, student-led discussions and other interactive teaching and research activities.
- - Lecture Topics Weeks 1 - 5: LAW
- History and form of the European Union: the idea of supranational institutions and supranational law and politics.
- Constitutional structures and laws in the EU: the idea of a European federation; state and sovereignty in the age of EU integration and the interface between EU courts and member state constitutional courts.
- Human rights in the EU: Integrating national, supranational and international rights protection.
- Legal and constitutional challenges in the wake of the recent macro-economic crises: Implementation of market and institutional regulations across legal systems.
- Legal and constitutional compatibility in Northeast Asia: Lessons from the EU
- - Lecture Topics Weeks 6 - 10: POLITICS
- Democracy and legitimacy in the European Union; forms of democratic participation and power in the EU; democratic theory and EU legislation and government; sources of legitimacy in the EU; democracy and legitimacy deficits.
- Political values of the European Union: welfare and justice; human rights.
- EU identity and EU pluralism; the open question of a European identity (especially in light of EU expansion); thick and thin identities; possibilities of EU citizenship.
- Politics in Northeast Asia: Lessons from the EU
- - Lecture Topics Weeks 11 - 15: ECONOMICS
- Historical aspects of EU economic integration
- Economics of a customs union and common market.
- Economic effects of a single internal market
- Common policies of the EU
- Competition, trade, agriculture, regional development, cohesion, external relations, and other policies.
- The EU and the global trading system.
- The EU in the world
- EU relations with Northeast Asia, its implications for Asia–Europe Meeting (ASEM).
- Northeast Asian economic integration: Lessons from the EU.
Assignments and Grading Criteria
- Law : In-class participation + term paper: 30% of final grade
- Politics : In-class participation + group presentation: 30% of final grade
- Economics : In-class participation + final written exam: 40% of final grade
Notice To Students
This is both an interdisciplinary and a multilingual class.
The teaching on law and politics will be given in English. The assignments for law and politics will also be in English. The teaching for economics will be in Korean, and the final exam for the economics part of the course will be in Korean.
Therefore, confidence with academic reading, writing, and communication in both English and Korean is important.
There will also be two extra events during the semester for which attendance will be mandatory :
• Round table discussion on EU identity and integration
• Research workshop on EU economic integration.
Students will participate as members of the audience, and will be encouraged to submit questions at these events.
Uploading of course materials and Community
Blog address : http://knueuintegration.blogspot.com