This course is designed to offer Korean language instruction to overseas Koreans and foreigners who have completed high school. Before instruction starts, students take a placement test for proper placement. Instructors with at least a master’s degree in the humanities or social sciences and experienced in teaching Korean language will use various audio-visual materials for interactive education.
In addition, our program of Korean cultural exploration will provide good opportunities to understand Korean culture.
- 4semesters per year : 10 weeks of classes, plus cultural activities every semester
- 4ｘ1-hour classes per day, 5 days per week : 200 hours of language instruction per semester
Recruiting Calendar (2017)
Language Training visa(D4) applicants must register two months prior to the semester. However, visa owners must apply at least two weeks prior to opening of the class.
|Arrival||Placement test||Orientation||Semester starts|
|Spring||JAN.06.||JAN.09. ~ JAN.13.||Feb.22.||Feb.23.||Feb.28.||MAR.02.|
|Summer||APR.07.||APR.10. ~ APR.14.||MAY.24.||MAY.25.||MAY.31.||JUN.01.|
※ Schedules above may be changed according to unforeseen situation.
Academic Calendar (2017)
※ Schedules above may be changed according to unforeseen situation
Korean Language Courses
Classes are taught by experienced instructors and focus on listening, speaking, reading, writing, pronunciation, and practical and academic skills.
Based on the results of the placement test, students will be registered in the appropriate level according to their Korean language proficiency (beginner, intermediate, advanced levels).
Class size: around 15 students per class
Cultural program every semester: activities include visiting historical and culturally important places, field trips, plus lots of hands-on experiences.
Certificate: A certificate and transcript will be issued to students who successfully complete each semester.
|Period||Class Days Per Week||Class Hours Per Day|
|40 weeks||20 hours (Mon. through Fri.)||4 hours|
※ 4 semestersX10 weeks X 5 days * 4 hours = 800 hours
Level Descriptions(Goals and Contents)
- To learn basics of Korean language such Korean alphabet, sentence structure, past-present-future tense.
- Can understand and express oneself on simple topics.
- Can do everyday tasks such as making phone calls, asking a favor, suggesting and use expressions required in public facilities
- Can pass Korean Proficiency Test Level 1-2.
- To learn intermediate level grammar and expressions used in daily life such as endings of modifier form and various auxiliary words.
- Can understand and express oneself on topics related to private life such as work, hobbies and appointments.
- To learn how to make an explanation and description necessary to use public institutions like immigration office or travel agency as well as to maintain social relationship.
- Can pass Korean Proficiency Test Level 2-3.
- To complete intermediate level Korean course.
- Can understand and express oneself on simple and familiar topics as well as social issues related to career, events, nation, and culture in paragraphs.
- Can speak well in most of the situations when using facilities and maintaining social relationship, and also not to have difficulty in having a daily talk.
- Can perform simple tasks like filling out documents.
- Can speak using abstract subjects and idiomatic expressions often used.
- Can pass Korean Proficiency Test Level 3-4.
- To complete intermediate and high level Korean course.
- Can understand relatively ordinary news and newspaper articles.
- Can understand and express oneself fluently on familiar social topics.
- Can speak well when performing tasks and research of one’s special field.
- Can understand and express oneself on unfamiliar topics throughout politics, economy, society and culture.
- Can pass Korean Proficiency Test Level 4-5.
- To complete advanced Level.
- Can use abstract words describing social phenomena correctly.
- Can produce technical texts required for business and academic fields.
- Can understand the intention of the speaker or infer the content of familiar social or abstract topics.
- Can understand most newspaper articles and the contents of tests on policy, economy and society.
- Can pass Korean Proficiency Test Level 5-6
- Preparation course for studying undergraduate and graduate school in Korea.
- Can write academic articles, speeches and documents.
- Can understand most news or broadcasting discourses.
- Can understand the situation of the writings and the psychology of the characters in representative essays and novels.
- Can understands and use idiomatic expressions and academical writings.
Attendance and Grading Detail
Students are expected to attend classes for more than 80% of the class hours in order to be promoted to the next level. A student may be permitted a leave of absence for conformable reasons such as an accident or illness Being late for the class 3 times is considered as one time absence.
Scholarships are given on the basis of academic achievement and attendance rates at the end of each semester.
Foreigners or overseas Koreans who have completed high school or equivalent.
Tuition, Fee and Insurance
- Application Fee:$60 / person
- Tuition Fee : 1,300,000 KRW / semester(10weeks)
※ Educational materials and cultural activities are included.
※ Single payment of tuition required.
- You should get Insurance.
- Required document : alien registration card, passport
※ About 180,000 KRW for 1year
Account Holder： Kyungpook Univ
Bank Name：Daegu Bank
Swit Address(Code)：DAEBKR 22
- The exchange rate is according to the rate at the time of payment. (Due to the floating rate in Korea, the exchange rates will fluctuate.)
- Payment should be in the name of the applicant.
- Personal checks not accepted.
- Write the applicant’s name on the deposit slip or the receipt after the remittance, and send it to the Language Institute by Fax or e-mail.
- Contact us for more details: E-mail : email@example.com Tel : +82-53-950-7535 Fax : +82-53-950-6724
- Applicants submit applications and required donumants by airmail or in person.
- We will review the documents and announce the results by email.
- Applicants send tuition fee and application fee.
- After confirmation od registration, we will send admission letters.
- Successful applicants can apply for a visa with the admission letters in Korean Embassy.
Postponement, Cancel, Refund
- Completed Application Form for Korean Language Course Download
- Study Plan (written in Korean or English) Download
- A Copy of a passport and Alien Registration Card (if you have)
- Bank Statement showing at least USD9,000.00
- 3 passport photos (3.5 x 4.5cm, white background)
- Apostille/Legalization-Academic certificate and Transcript of final degree from current school
- Parents’ Certificate of Employment/Tax payment
- A Copy of Full Birth Certificate
- Certificate of tuberculosis including a chest X-ray from designated hospitals(Those applicants from high risk countries of tuberculosis)
- Proof of current employment and career (those applicable)
- Certificate showing your Korean skills(those applicable)
※ All the documents should be sent via airmail.
※ All submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant.
※ Additional documents may be required for some applicants.
※ Current Visa holders should ask the office before applying for the program.
Visa(D-4) and Alien Registration
Visa (a General Student Visa, D-4)
This visa is for a student who is going to study a foreign language. After receiving the admission documents from the language institute, apply to the embassy for a visa. Processing of the visa application takes approximately one month and the visa is usually valid for 6 months.
Students are required to register at a local immigration office having the jurisdiction over the place of one's stay.
- Place : Daegu Immigration Office
- Required Documents: Application form, Passport picture(3.5x4.5㎝, white background), Passport, Certificate of Studentship, Certificate of tuberculosis including a chest X-ray(Those applicants from high risk countries of tuberculosis), A copy of room contract
- Fees: 30,000 KRW
Extension of the period of stay
Foreigners who want to stay longer than the period of stay given with the present visa status are required to apply for permission.
- Place for application: Daegu Immigration Office
- Required Documents: Application form, A copy of passport, Alien Registration Card, Certificate of Studentship, A copy of room contract
- Fees: 60,000 KRW
Campus Life Resources
With one’s student ID card students can read library resources, use computers,and self-study. But using the lending service is not available.
|Resource Library||During semester : 08:00-21:00
During break : 08:00-18:00
|General Reading Room
|06:00 ~ 23:00
06:00 ~ 24:00 (Basement reading room)
During exam periods, basement reading room is open 24 hours.
New Year’s Day, Chu-suk: closed
※ Subject to change
- Students can use ATM located here and there on campus in order to withdraw and deposit.
- In order to open an account, students should visit a bank in person with alien registration card or passport. Otherwise, 2,000KRW fees should be charged.
- Location: 1st Floor Bokjigwan
- Service hour: 09:00-16:30
80, Daehakro, Buk-gu, Daegu Language Education Center, Kyungpook National University (Korean Language Program)
TEL : 82-53-950-7535 (Jihye Kim(Ms)) / FAX : 82-53-950-6724