|Spring Semester 2019||Note|
|On-line Applications Open||Sep. 10(Mon), 2018 ~
Sep. 14(Fri), 2018, 18:00
|For online applications refer to http://en.knu.ac.kr|
|Submission of Application Documents||Sep. 10(Mon), 2018 ~
Sep. 21(Fri), 2018, 18:00
|to Office of International Affairs (Global Plaza Rm.608), Required Documents ①~⑨|
|Screening of Application Documents||Oct. 1(Mon), 2018 ~
Oct. 5(Fri), 2018
|Applicants will be individually notified of screening results.|
|Interviews||1st preference department||Oct. 11(Thu), 2018 ~
Oct. 24(Wed), 2018
|2nd preference department||by Nov. 7(Wed), 2018||Only for applicants who are not selected in the department interview for their first preference|
|Submission of Financial Documents||by Nov. 22(Thu), 2018||Only for applicants who pass the departmental interview(can submit during the application period)|
|Admissions Committee Screening||by Nov. 26 (Mon), 2018|
|TOPIK Certificate Submission||by Nov. 30 (Fri), 2018||Only for applicants who submit a test identification slip|
|Notification of Admission Results||Dec. 7(Fri), 2018(expected)||http://gp.knu.ac.kr(Korean)|
|Certificate of Admission Issued||From early December|
|Payment of deposit||Dec.17(Mon), 2018 ~ Dec.19(Wed), 2018|
|Payment of tuition fees (Registration)||late January||Applicants can receive an invoice from the Office of International Affairs|
|Submission of Verification Documents||
Academic Departments and Number of Admissions
1. Academic Departments
※ NOTE: Applicants for departments marked in bold can apply for a 2ndpreference.
|Humanities||Korean Language & Literature||English Language & Literature||Korean Language & Literature||English Language & Literature|
|French Language & Literature||German Language & Literature||French Language & Literature||German Language & Literature|
|Chinese Language & Literature||Archaeology & Anthropology||Chinese Language & Literature||Archaeology & Anthropology|
|Japanese Language & Literature||Korean Literature in Chinese Characters||Japanese Language & Literature||Korean Literature in Classical Chinese|
|Russian Language & Literature||Russian Language & Literature|
|Social Sciences||[Political Science & Diplomacy]||[Sociology]||Political Science & Diplomacy||Sociology|
|[Geography]||Library & Information Science||Geography||Library & Information Science|
|Psychology||[Social Welfare]||Psychology||Social Welfare|
|Mass Communication||Mass Communication|
|[Chemistry]||[Life Sciences (Biotechnology)]||Chemistry||Life Sciences (Biology)|
|[Earth System Science]||[Life Sciences (Biology)]||Life Sciences (Biotechnology)||Statistics|
|[Statistics]||Earth System Science (Geology)||Earth System Science (Astronomy and Atmospheric Science)|
|Earth System Science (Oceanography)|
|Economics & Business Administration||Economics & Trade||Business Administration||Economics & Trade||Business Administration|
|Engineering||Materials Science & Engineering||[Mechanical Engineering]||Materials Science & Engineering (Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering)||Materials Science & Engineering (Electronic Materials Engineering)|
|Applied Chemical Engineering||Architecture (Architecture)||Mechanical Engineering||Civil Engineering|
|Civil Engineering||Architecture (Architectural Engineering)||Architecture & Civil Engineering (Architectural Engineering)||Architecture & Civil Engineering (Architecture)|
|[Polymer Engineering]||Textile System Engineering||Applied Chemical Engineering (Applied Chemistry)||Applied Chemical Engineering (Chemical Engineering)|
|Environmental Engineering||Energy Engineering||Polymer Engineering||Textile System Engineering|
|Environmental Engineering||Energy Engineering|
|IT||Electronics Engineering||Computer Science||Electronics Engineering||Computer Science|
|Electrical Engineering||Computer Science (Global software Convergence)||Electrical Engineering|
|Agriculture & Life Sciences||[Applied Biosciences]||[Food Science & Technology]||Applied Biosciences||Food Science & Technology|
|[Forest Sciences and Landscape Architecture]||[Horticultural Sciences]||Forest Sciences and Landscape Architecture (Wood & Paper Science)||Forest Sciences and Landscape Architecture (Forestry)|
|[Agricultural Civil & Bio-Industrial Engineering]||[Bio-fibers and Materials Science]||Forest Sciences and Landscape Architecture (Landscape Architecture)||Horticultural Science|
|[Agricultural Economics]||Agricultural Civil & Bio-Industrial Engineering (Bio-Industrial Machinery Engineering)||Agricultural Civil & Bio-Industrial Engineering (Agricultural Civil Engineering)|
|Bio-fibers and Materials Science||Agricultural Economics|
|Music & Arts||Music||[Korean Traditional Music]||Music||Korean Traditional Music|
|Fine Arts||Design||Fine Arts|
|Teachers College||Korean Language and Literature Education||History Education||N/A|
|Human Ecology||Child Studies||Clothing and Textiles||Child Studies (Child and Family Studies)||Child Studies (Child Studies)|
|[Food Science and Nutrition]||Clothing and Textiles||Food Science and Nutrition|
|Public Administration||[Public Administration]||Public Administration|
|College||Freshman||Transfer (2nd preference not available)|
|Ecology & Environmental Science||[Ecology & Environmental System]||[Ecological Environment & Ecotourism (Applied Biology)]||Ecology & Environmental System(Plant Resources and Environment)||Ecology & Environmental System(Forest Environment and Resources)|
|[Leisure & Sports]||[Ecological Environment & Ecotourism (Ecotourism)]||Ecological Environment & Ecotourism(Applied Biology)||Ecological Environment & Ecotourism(Ecotourism)|
|[Animal Science]||[Animal Biotechnology]||Horse/Companion and wild Animal Science||Leisure & Sports|
|[Horse/Companion and wild Animal Science]||Animal Science||Animal Biotechnology|
|Science & Technology||[Advanced Civil Environmental Engineering]||[Precision Mechanical Engineering]||Advanced Civil Environmental Engineering (Constructional Disaster Prevention Engineering)||Advanced Civil Environmental Engineering(Civil Environmental Engineering)|
|[Automotive Engineering]||[Software]||Precision Mechanical Engineering||Automotive Engineering (Environment Friendly Vehicle Engineering)|
|[Food and Food Service Industry]||[Nano & Materials Science and Engineering]||Automotive Engineering (Intelligent Vehicle Engineering)||Software|
|[Convergence & Fusion System Engineering]||[Textile Engineering & Fashion Design(Textile Engineering)]||Food and Food service Industry||Nano & Materials Science and Engineering(Energy Chemical Engineering)|
|[Textile Engineering & Fashion Design (Fashion Design)]||Nano & Materials Science and Engineering (Advanced Materials Science & Engineering)||Convergence & Fusion System Engineering (Aeronautical satellite system Engineering)|
|Convergence & Fusion System Engineering (Plant system Engineering)||Textile Engineering & Fashion Design (Fashion Design)|
|Textile Engineering & Fashion Design (Textile Engineering)|
Number of Admissions: International student admissions are based on a departmental limit.
※ The following departments will select a limited number of students per semester.
- Department of Business Administration: around 7 persons
- Department of Economics & Trade: around 5 persons
- Department of Korean Language and Literature Education: 3 persons
- Department of History Education: 1 person
- ① The Architecture (Major in Architecture) is a 5 year university program.
- ② Students who are enrolled in the College of Engineering, College of IT, and Department of Agricultural Civil & Bio-industrial Engineering in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences must complete the ABEEK (Accreditation Board for Engineering Education of Korea) program. Transfer students may take one or two semesters longer depending on their ABEEK requirements. ※ Except the major of Global Software Convergence
- ③ Applicants for the Department of Mass Communication must attend an in-person interview with a department representative in Korea.
- ④ The Departments of Music, Design and Fine Arts accept new students in the spring semester only.
- ⑤ According to the Regulations for Student Enrollment at the College of Education, the acceptance rate of international students cannot exceed 10% of the admission quota, and transfer applicants will not be eligible to apply (freshman only).
- ⑥ Applicants for the Department of Music must complete a Performance Test.
|Singing||1. One Italian song(free song)
2. One German song(free song)
|Piano||1. One musical composition at F. Chopin Etude Op.10, Op.25
2. One fast musical composition at L. v. Beethoven Sonata (without repeating)
|Composition||1. Composition : Writing a three-part piano song||180 minutes|
|2. Piano : One free song|
|Orchestra||One fast movement at Concerto or one free song|
- Performance must be played without looking at the score.
- Applicants must be accompanied by a pianist.
- Applicants must bring instruments except for piano.
- Contact the Department of Music at + 82-53-950-5656 for more details.
- International applicants whose parents are both non-Korean nationals must meet all of the following requirements:
- He or she must have completed his or her entire elementary and junior high school education and
- He or she must have completed (or be about to complete) high school education at a comparable and equivalent level to that which is provided in Korea.
- Applicants of Korean origin must have completed his or her entire elementary and junior high school education and must have completed (or be about to complete) his or her high school education outside Korea at a comparable and equivalent level to that which is provided in Korea.
- International applicants graduating from vocational schools are not eligible for enrollment. However, such applicants can be selected through additional screening if they are from vocational schools which have signed an agreement with KNU.
- Eligible Nationality status must be established before the due date of application.
- Multi-nationals are not eligible.
Transfer Admissions (third grade)
- International applicants whose parents are both non-Korean nationals must meet either of the following requirements:
- Graduated or about to graduate from a 4-year university, or;
- Graduated or about to graduate from a 2 or 3-year accredited college or completed at least two years of a 4-year university program (with over 70 credit hours completed)
- Applicants of Korean origin who have completed their entire elementary school, junior high and high school education outside Korea must meet either of the following requirements:
- Graduated or about to graduate from a 4-year university outside Korea, or;
- Graduated or about to graduate from a 2 or 3-year accredited college or completed at least two years of a 4-year university program outside Korea (with over 70 credit hours completed)
- Applicants who have completed two years at a 3-year university are not eligible.
- Applicants who graduated from a university which does not have a Credit system are not eligible.
- Eligible Nationality status must be established before the due date of application.
- Multi-nationals are not eligible.
Eligibility for Language Proficiency
- Applicants who want to apply for the following departments must to submit a Korean language score report (test identification slip will not be accepted):
departments are required to submit a score report Department Eligibility Mass Communication a level 3 “TOPIK” certificate or higher Geography Economics and Trade Korean Language and Literature a level 4 “TOPIK” certificate or higher Philosophy Korean Language & Literature Education Social Welfare Business Administration a level 4 “TOPIK” certificate or a level 6 certificate of completion from Kyungpook National University’s Korean Language Institute Public Administration a level 3 “TOPIK” certificate or higher or a level 4 or higher certificate from a Korean Language Institute in Korea
- Except for the above 9 departments, applicants should provide one of the following as proof of language proficiency:
- Koreanproficiency:A“TOPIK”certificate for level 3 or higher
※ Applicants who take the 60th“TOPIK”examcan apply with a test identification slip and must submit a certificate for level 3 or higher by Nov.30th.2018.
- Korean proficiency: Certificate of completion for level 3 or higher at a Korean Language Institute of a university.
- English proficiency: A score report from a recognized English proficiency test (TOEFL 530, CBT 197, iBT 71, IELTS 5.5, TEPS 600, CEFR B2, TOEIC 700 or higher)
※ Native English speakers do not need to submit an English score report.
- Koreanproficiency:A“TOPIK”certificate for level 3 or higher
- Deadline: Sep. 10(Mon), 2018 ~ Sep. 14(Fri), 2018, 18:00
- Online application site : http://jinhakapply.com(refer to http://en.knu.ac.kr)
- You will automatically get an application number after completing the on-line application.
Submission of Application Documents
- Deadline: Sep. 10(Mon), 2018 ~ Sep. 21(Fri ), 2018, 18:00
- Where to submit: Office of International Affairs
- How to submit: Applicants should submit completed and printed application forms downloaded from the online application site along with supplementary documents.
- Screening period: Oct. 1(Mon), 2018 ~ Oct. 5(Fri), 2018
- Screening Method: Examination of the suitability of applicants’ academic background and language proficiency, so as to be deemed as “qualified” or “unqualified.”
- First preference: Oct. 11(Thu), 2018 ~ Oct. 24(Wed), 2018
- Second preference: by Nov. 7(Wed), 2018
How to interview
In-person interview or telephone interview with the department
- Applicants will be individually notified of date and place for interviews.
- Applicants who are not selected for their first department preference will be interviewed for their second preference.
Application Documents (After completing the online application)
|1||Completed application form (printed version)||m||m|
|2||Statement of purpose and study plan (KNU format, in English or Korean)||m||m|
|3||Letters of recommendation (KNU format(English) / KNU format(Korean))||m||m|
|4||Graduation certificate (or proof of completion) and official transcripts from high school(original copies)||m||m|
|5||Graduation certificate (or enrollment certificate) and official transcripts from university (original copies)||X||m|
|6||English or Korean proficiency test results||m||m|
|7||Certificate of completion and transcript from Korean Language Institute (if applicable)||m||m|
|8||Copy of applicant's passport (and ARC if applicable)||m||m|
|9||Certificate of parents’ nationality and parent-child relationship between the applicants and his/her parents.||m||m|
- Applicants of Korean origin must submit “Certificate of Facts Concerning Entry and Exit” as well.
- The certificate must contain complete records from birth to present and if there are any missing records, the applicant must submit the Certificate of Attendance corresponding with the vacant period along with the Certificate of Facts Concerning Entry and Exit.
- If the applicant has modifications to their personal information(from being naturalized as a foreign citizen, change of name, issuance of a new passport, etc.), he or she must submit complete records of their entry and exit from birth to present including those records from prior to the applicable change.
- If the applicant does not have the means to obtain the certificate and cannot receive assistance from someone residing in Korea, he or she must submit the Permission of Inquiry of Certificate of Entry and Exit as a substitute. Applicants are advised to check the accuracy of the information on the required from as applicants will take full responsibility for any problems or disadvantages arising from errors or omission of the necessary information on the form.
- Applicants for the Department of Design must submit a portfolio of at least 10 pages and a certificate of completion from a Korean Language Institute indicating over one year of study.
- Examples of relationship between the applicants and his or her parents
China: 户口本或是亲属关系公证，Philippines: Family Census, Indonesia: KARTU KELUARGA, Bangladesh: 점머 까꺼즈 or 점마 싸이드티켓, Vietnam: SO HOKHAU or Giay khai sinh, Mongolia: 친족관계증명서, Pakistan: Family Certificate, Sri Lanka: 빠울러 서티피케이트,Myanmar: 가족관계증명서(잉타웅수사옌), Nepal: 전마달다, Kyrgyzstan/ Kazakhstan/ Uzbekistan/ Ukraine/ Thailand: 출생증명서
- Documents in another language should be accompanied by a notarized Korean or English translation.
- For Whom: Applicants who pass the department interview (Applicants can also submit their documents during the application period).
- When: by Nov. 22(Thu), 2018
- Required documents must meet one of the following criteria ①, ②, ③:
① If the applicant is the financial guarantor self-financing the cost of study: Submit the original bank certificate of deposit balance (in English) showing the amount of at least USD18,000.
② If the financial guarantor is a parent:
- Submit the original bank certificate of deposit balance (in English) showing the amount of at least USD18,000.
- Employment Certificate or Business Registration Certificate from a financial guarantor (Korean or English)
※ Brothers and sisters can be guarantors only in case of parents’ absence.
③ Scholarship certificate from other organization If applicants are financially supported from their own countries’ government or another organization
※ If the total amount of scholarship or support funds is less than USD18,000, the applicant will have to submit the original bank certificate of deposit balance for the remaining amount as required per ① or ②.
- For Whom: All successful applicants must submit the verification documents
- ① Applicants residing in Korea: by middle of December 2018
- ② Overseas residents: by February 28(Thu). 2019
- Required documents: select one of the documents as below.
- ① Applicants who have completed courses in China:Documents confirmed by the China Academic Degree & Graduate Education Development Center (www.chsi.com.cn/xlrz)
- ② Applicants complete course other countries except for S. Korea submit one of following two documents:
- Apostille Certificate of your previous academic documents
- Documents verified by the Korean Embassy in other countries or the Embassy in Korea
※ Applicants who graduated from Universities in S. Korea can submit a copy of the degree instead of verified copies.
Apostille Certificates (Please refer to [Attachment 1])
※ Note: Failure to submit the verification documents by the deadline may result in cancellation of admission.
￦60,000 (Korean currency)
How to pay
- The application fee should be paid using the on-line application program.
※Note: Please refer to the on-line instructions when you do the on-line application.
- If the application fee is not paid during the application period, the application will be canceled.
- You can get the application number after the application fee has been paid.
※Note: It is not possible to revise the contents of the application after the application fee has been paid.
Important Notes for Applicants
- All documents should be in Korean or English. Documents in another language should be accompanied by a notarized Korean or English translation.
- If any required documents are found to be false or counterfeit, your application will be canceled.
- Any applicant submitting a certificate of expected graduation must submit the original copy of the graduation certificate before beginning their first semester at KNU.
- The Office of International Affairs is not responsible for application cancellation due to incorrect contact information (address and phone number etc.)
- If an applicant’s visa is not issued or is rejected, his or her application will be canceled.
- Applicants receiving a scholarship more than US$18,000 from another institution are not required to submit a certificate of financial guarantee; however, they must submit a certificate/letter of confirmation from the institution that will pay their tuition during their period of study at KNU.
- No submitted documents or application fees will be returned to the applicant. (Original copies of certificates of graduation will be returned after the screening process is completed.)
- Please complete your application in advance to avoid a system overload on the last day of the application period,
- Foreign students who are admitted to the university or enrolled at KNU must have Korean health insurance or health insurance from an insurance provider in their own country.
Scholarships and Benefits
TOPIK Scholarships for New students
- A level 3 “TOPIK” certificate: Scholarships for 25% of the Tuition fee for the first semester.
- A level 4 “TOPIK” certificate: Scholarships for 40% of the Tuition fee for the first semester
- A level 5, 6 “TOPIK” certificate: Scholarships for 80% of the Tuition fee for the first semester
TOPIK Scholarships for enrolled students
- Those who do not have a “TOPIK” certificate or have a level 3 “TOPIK” certificate when they enter KNU can receive scholarships after getting a “TOPIK” certificate for level 4 or higher.
Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Top 7% of all international students receive an 80% scholarship for the following semester.
- Top 30% of all international students receive a 20% scholarship for the following semester.
The students who enter the dormitory will be exempt from dormitory room fees for the first semester.
Tuition Fees (Per semester as of 2018)
Daegu Campus (1US$:1,100won)
|College||Korean won||US Dollars|
|Archaeology & Anthropology||￦1,828,500||$1,662|
|Natural Sciences / Human Ecology||￦2,179,000||$1,980|
|Economics & Business Administration / Public Administration||￦1,754,000||$1,594|
|Engineering / IT||￦2,331,000||$2,119|
|Agriculture & Life Sciences||Other departments||￦2,179,000||$1,980|
|Music & Arts||Other departments||￦2,410,000||$2,190|
|College||Korean won||US Dollars|
|Ecology & Environmental Science||Other departments||￦2,179,000||$1,980|
|Ecological Environment Ecotourism(Ecotourism)||￦1,781,000||$1,619|
|Science & Technology||Other departments||￦2,331,000||$2,119|
|Food and Food-service Industry||￦2,179,000||$1,980|
Dormitory Fees (As of 2018)
|Room & Board||Fees||Note|
|Spring Semester||Fall Semester||Summer Vacation||Winter Vacation|
|Room||2 persons in a room||￦464,000||￦460,000||￦225,000||￦352,000|
|Board||￦730,400||￦704,000||￦446,600||￦426,800||3 meals a day|
- The Office of International Affairs will support the dormitory room fees for the first semester only and for freshmen students only.
- Homepage of Dormitory : http://dorm.knu.ac.kr
- Hyunju Seo(Ms.), Office of International Affairs
- Address: 80 Daehak-ro, Daegu, 41566, Korea Office of International Affairs, Kyungpook National Affairs (Global Plaza Room No. 608)
- Tel) +82-53-950-2434, Fax) +82-53-950-2419, Email) firstname.lastname@example.org